The LGBTQ+ community, especially transgender people, is under attack from Republicans. According to the American Civil Liberties Union, almost 500 anti-LGBTQ+ bills have gone before state legislatures since the start of this year alone, and anti-trans bills have doubled since 2022.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis recently signed several anti-LGBTQ+ billsWho Joe Saunders, senior policy director of Equality Florida, called it “an all-out assault on freedom.” One bill bars transgender children from receiving gender-affirming care, while another bans teachers, professors and students from using pronouns of their choice in public schools. Other bills ban children from attending drag shows and ban trans people from using restrooms, locker rooms and other public facilities that match their gender identity.
Meanwhile, Target bowed to a concerted campaign by anti-LGBTQ+ fanatics and pulled merchandise honoring Pride Month after facing a public backlash from the rightjoining Bud Light, the Dodgers and Disney as another brand drawn to the center of the conservative plan to target LGBTQ+ people.
In April, transgender lawmaker Zooey Zephyr was silenced by fellow Republicans, who wouldn’t allow her to speak upstairs at the Montana House unless she apologized for saying lawmakers would have ‘blood on their hands’ if they passed a law banning medical care gender-affirming for transgender youth in the state. Despite the dissent of hundreds of protesters, Zephyr was thrown out of the House for violating its rules of decorum.
And these are just some of the latest challenges the LGBTQ+ community faces in its fight for equality in America.
Now is the time to take action in the LGBTQ+ fight for equality.
All of these examples speak to Republican efforts to attack, exclude, and eradicate queer people, especially trans people, from living and coexisting peacefully. But while this Pride month seems difficult as we strive to counter these efforts rooted in hate, we refuse to be silenced. They tried again and again, and they failed again and again.
The movement for gay liberation and rights continues to grow — despite hatred from the right — across the country and around the world. We see their tactics. And we fight back.
What has MoveOn done in the past year to support the LGBTQ+ community?
- We launched our official Rainbow Generation campaign. One of the barriers the LGBTQ+ community faces is a lack of education on how to protect and support LGBTQ+ people across the country.
That’s why we created Generation Rainbow, a hub of resources and action items focused on protecting LGBTQ+ youth. On the site, you’ll find resources such as The Trevor Project, SnapCo, and Advocates of Youth, resources that will foster a deeper understanding of the LGBTQ+ community that goes beyond visibility.
- Thousands of MoveOn members called Target to demand that they stop giving in to bigots, homophobes and transphobes and reinstate their LGBTQ+ Pride merchandise.
- MoveOn Members has written and posted over 1,000 comments in support of telehealth care options, advocate to protect gender-affirming care for trans people and MoveOn members in rural areas.
- We raised the voice of MoveOn members (from petition comments) on social media for Trans Visibility Day.
Join us in the fight to protect and support LGBTQ+ rights:
It is more important than ever that we come together, whether you are in the LGBTQ+ community or an ally, to fight back and show solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community. Here are some ways to do it:
- Sign the petition telling Target to stop giving in to bigots, homophobes and transphobes and reinstate their LGBTQ+ merchandise now.
- Proudly wear the MoveOn Pride product. Even though Target has chosen to give in to conservative attempts to silence the LGBTQ+ community, we refuse to back down.
That’s why we’re giving you a different option for hanging your Pride 2023 gear, and we’re excited to release our Pride Collection 2023! Unlike what you buy from a big company, your purchase will support LGBTQ+ advocacy and the work we do year-round to fight for LGBTQ+ people and other marginalized communities, and to elect politicians who will work to protect our rights. You can buy the MoveOn Pride product here and wear it proudly throughout Pride Month and all year round!
- Find a local LGBTQ+ advocacy group donate your time or resources.
This Pride month and beyond, let’s work towards a world where members of our LGBTQ+ community can thrive. We can practice our covenant and take action to build the future we want together.