MoveOn members, we did it! Together, millions of members mobilized voters in large numbers, prevented a red wave, held the Senate, helped win critical races for governor and secretary of state, and helped defend progressive champions in the House. OUR the actions contributed to the most successful midterm election for the ruling party in decades – bucking history, defeating many die-hard MAGA extremists and championing democracy.
Many factors played into the results of this election and you can be proud to be part of a community that has made an impactful contribution where it matters most. Early analyzes show that our strategy targeted the right group of voters with a range of resonant messages. In short, the people who contributed to the Democrats’ electoral success were among the people our platform focused on and were driven by the issues we focused on.
This means that every call, text, targeted digital ad and contact with voters contributed to several small wins that were decisive for this election.
Here’s some of what we’ve accomplished together:
- We ran the largest relationship organizing program in the country and specifically recruited MoveOn members to mobilize 240,000 people they knew personally to vote in the most critical states.
- Local MoveOn donors gave $1.5 million directly to candidates for Senate, House, Governor and Secretary of State, some of whom beat the nation’s biggest election deniers.
- MoveOn supporters have given our data scientists, researchers and organizers the resources to identify, target and reach 4.3 million “peak voters” – voters who are voting for the first time in 2018 and 2020 and who can agree with progressive causes but were less likely to vote in 2022.
- We held nine rallies in battleground states with Senator Bernie Sanders, NextGen America and Working Families Party to mobilize and get young people to vote in swing states.
- Through ads, social media, emails, text messages and advocacy by MoveOn members, we have brought the issues of abortion rights and the protection of democracy to the fore.
Take a look at some of the numbers behind our collective impact:
Thanks for everything you’ve done. Whether it’s donating to the grassroots or spending a few hours calling MoveOn members in swing neighborhoods, sharing impactful content online, joining our weekly democracy rallies, participating in votes of approval for the 85 candidates that MoveOn members endorsed from top to bottom in the ballot, each of these actions, and many more, contributed to MoveOn’s impact on these historic midterm election results , consistent and powerful.
We haven’t won every race, and a GOP-led House of Representatives will be a hotbed of MAGA conspiracy theorists and attacks on our freedoms. But we have helped create a more favorable political landscape for the next two years, sent a clear national message of rejection of MAGA extremism, and built momentum around issues that matter deeply—and we will continue to organize around them in the weeks, months and years to come.
Here is what oyour most immediate work ahead includes:
- Go all-in to re-elect Senator Raphael Warnock in Georgia – thousands joined our November 15 live stream (watch the recording here) to launch the program and began signing up for phone banking and tripling votes to reach Georgian voters. You can sign up for telephone banking and vote by tripling here.
- Hundreds of thousands of MoveOn members took collective action in response to Trump’s announced bid for president in 2024—order “Make Trump Lose Again” stickers to display visual opposition to Trump, sign petitions asking networks to stop giving him free airtime and officials to hold him accountable for his role in the insurgency, and to donate now to defeat Trump … once again.
MoveOn members came together for our biggest midterm election program in our 24-year history. The stakes were so high, and our energy, commitment and impact matched the moment.
Thank you for being part of this vibrant community working for an America for All. Thank you for your participation leading up to Election Day and your continued partnership as we move forward together towards a world of justice, sustainability, equality and love.