An analysis of key votes from the first two months of the 118th Congress shows that all 18 House Republicans from swing districts Biden has carried in 2020 voted alongside Marjorie Taylor Greene. While they pose as moderates to their constituents and the media, they are actually pushing the MAGA agenda in Washington. They are the Complicit Caucus, voting with the radical right and causing real damage to our families, our communities and our country.
The 18 House Republicans representing swing districts Biden won in 2020
- Representative Don Bacon (NE-2)
- Rep. Lori Chavez-DeRemer (OR-5)
- Representative Juan Ciscomani (AZ-6)
- Representative Anthony D’Esposito (NY-4)
- Representative John Duarte (CA-13)
- Representative Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-1)
- Representative Mike Garcia (CA-27)
- Representative Thomas Kean Jr. (NJ-07)
- Rep. Jen Kiggans (VA-2)
- Representative Young Kim (CA-40)
- Representative Nicholas LaLota (NY-1)
- Representative Michael Lawler (NY-17)
- Representative Marcus Molinaro (NY-19)
- Representative George Santos (NY-3)
- Rep. David Schweikert (AZ-1)
- Rep. Michelle Steel (CA-45)
- Rep. David Valadao (CA-22)
- Representative Brandon Williams (NY-22)
Of the 121 votes cast through February 27 by the 118th Congress, our analysis focuses on 29 votes on House governance (leadership, rules, committees) and the eventual passage of divisive legislation. We do not review process votes (motions to recommit, suspend rules or adjourn, order of previous question, quorum), amendments, or laws passed with broad bipartisan support.
An examination of those 29 key votes reveals that the 18 Republicans in the House of Swing Districts Biden carried in 2022 voted 100% with ultra-MAGA Republican Marjorie Taylor Greene on 28 of 29 votes (see chart below) . The only exception was The SHOW UP Act, a bill to end COVID telecommuting options for federal workers, which Marjorie Taylor Greene and all swing district Republicans except Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-1 ) argued.
- All 18 members of Swing District House on the side of MTG to elect Kevin McCarthy president, despite his many concessions to the radical right wing of the party.
- All 18 members of Swing District House voted with MTG to eviscerate House ethics rules to leave corrupt congressional colleagues unchecked.
- All 18 members of Swing District House voted with MTG to cut IRS funding and allow wealthy tax cheats to go unnoticed.
- All 18 members of Swing District House voted with MTG set up a special commission on government armament, which will launch a brazen counter-investigation on January 6. It’s an idea that MTG convinced McCarthy to “tell the other side of the story”.
- The 18 members of Swing District House voted with MTG for a pair of anti-abortion measures.
- The 18 members of Swing District House voted with MTG to allow more drilling on public lands.
- The 18 members of Swing District House voted with MTG on five bills to undermine COVID protections, except for one leaving on a single vote. Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick of southeastern Pennsylvania voted against a bill to end COVID telecommuting options for federal workers.
- All 18 members of Swing District House voted with MTG to reverse criminal justice reform and voting rights measures passed by the democratically elected DC City Council.
- The 18 members of Swing District House voted with MTG to remove Congresswoman Ilhan Omar from the House Foreign Affairs Committee, a baseless and bigoted vote that was political retribution for Greene and Gosar removed from the committees for inciting violence against Democrats.
Key House Votes to Advance the Republican Agenda in the 118th Congress
Through February 27, 2023