Professional basketball star Giannis Antetokounmpo’s single-edition non-fungible token (NFT) sold for 113.9 ETH ($187,000) on Sorare NBA over the weekend.
- Sorare NBA is an NFT-licensed fantasy basketball game, and selling set a new milestonebeing the platform’s highest single transaction since its launch in October 2022.
- The 1/1 Antetokounmpo NFT was auctioned through Sorare NBA’s Ethereum-based platform. The sale price of the NFT was three times the price of the previous sale, which was an Anthony Davis NFT sold for 49 ETH (over $62,000) in December.
- Apart from its single-edition sale on Sorare, Antetokounmpo’s NFTs have sold for high prices in previous years.
- In February 2021, Antetokounmpo recorded a $95,000 chain sale on NBA Top Shot on the Flow blockchain. The transaction is the 16th largest Top Shot sale to date. The sale is also the most well-known of the basketball icon.
- Although the Antetokounmpo NFT sale broke the previous Sorare NBA record, it does not come close to trading card deals.
- In September 2020, an autographed rookie card of Giannis Antetokounmpo was sold for around $1.8 million. From that point on, the transaction set the record for best-selling basketball trading card.
- Meanwhile, the record selloff comes as the broader crypto space recovers from an intense crypto winter that sent NFT prices lower.
- Despite unfavorable crypto market conditions last year, data from DappRadar showed that NFT sales increased by 67%. CryptoPotato reported that 101 million NFTs were sold in 2022, which is significantly higher than the volumes of previous years.
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive): Use this link to sign up and receive $100 free and 10% off Binance Futures fees for the first month (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to sign up and enter code POTATO50 to receive up to $7,000 on your deposits.